Current:Home > reviewsMan charged with murdering 2 roommates after body parts found in suitcases on iconic U.K. bridge -Capitatum
Man charged with murdering 2 roommates after body parts found in suitcases on iconic U.K. bridge
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:37:07
A 34-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two men whose remains were found in two suitcases in southwest England.
London's Metropolitan Police said Yostin Andres Mosquera has been charged with murdering Albert Alfonso, 61, and Paul Longworth, 71. He is due to appear in a London court later Monday.
Police said the victims had previously been in a relationship and still lived together, and that the suspect had been staying with them at their west London apartment.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Andy Valentine said "the evidence gathered so far does not suggest there was a homophobic motive" to the killings. However, officers followed national guidelines and have initially categorized the incident as a hate crime, he said.
"I hope it will be of some reassurance that whilst enquiries are still ongoing and the investigation is at a relatively early stage, we are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with the two murders," Valentine said.
The suspect was arrested at a train station in Bristol on Saturday, three days after the grisly discovery of body parts in suitcases on the city's Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Police officers arrived at the iconic bridge at around midnight Wednesday, 10 minutes after receiving reports of a man behaving strangely. But the man, who had traveled there by taxi, was already gone.
Police found more remains at the victims' home in London.
Clifton Suspension Bridge, designed by the pioneering engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, is one of the oldest surviving suspension bridges in the world. The landmark bridge spans the Avon Gorge, and was designed by noted Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
The gruesome discovery came just one day after police in England detained a 26-year-old man after an hours-long manhunt following the murders of three women with a crossbow.
- In:
- Murder
- United Kingdom
veryGood! (39)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Delay of Texas death row inmate’s execution has not been the norm for Supreme Court, experts say
- Olivia Wilde Shares Rare Photo of Her and Jason Sudeikis’ 7-Year-Old Daughter Daisy
- U.S. decides to permanently dismantle pier helping deliver aid into Gaza, official says
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Olivia Wilde Shares Rare Photo of Her and Jason Sudeikis’ 7-Year-Old Daughter Daisy
- Why Simone Biles Says Tokyo Olympics Performance Was a Trauma Response
- Parent Trap's Lindsay Lohan Reunites With Real-Life Hallie 26 Years Later
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Chicago Sky trade Marina Mabrey to Connecticut Sun for two players, draft picks
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Still empty a year later, Omaha’s new $27M juvenile jail might never open as planned
- Still empty a year later, Omaha’s new $27M juvenile jail might never open as planned
- Jagged Edge's Brandon Casey “Should Be Dead” After Breaking Neck, Skull in Car Crash
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Orlando Magic co-founder Pat Williams dies at 84
- Florida man arrested after allegedly making death threats against Biden
- Fred Armisen and Riki Lindhome have secretly been married with a child since 2022
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Jack Black's bandmate, Donald Trump and when jokes go too far
Milwaukee Bucks' Khris Middleton recovering from surgeries on both ankles
Report: WNBA agrees to $2.2B, 11-year media rights deal with ESPN, Amazon, NBC
Travis Hunter, the 2
Stegosaurus fossil fetches nearly $45M, setting record for dinosaur auctions
Honolulu officers who handcuffed 10-year-old can be sued for using excessive force, judges rule
Jury tries again for a verdict in Detroit synagogue leader’s murder